Invisalign® Usage in Orthodontics
Orthodontics is a specialty of dentistry that focuses on the realignment of malpositioned teeth. This procedure involves using different dental appliances to institute a movement in the shift of teeth. Over the years, traditional braces have been the apparent oral appliance in use for these kinds of treatments. Modern dentistry, however, has more to offer.
What Is Invisalign?
It is a brand of teeth aligners used in teeth alignment. The aligners are different from traditional braces because they feature clear sets of plastic-like tooth-shaped devices. These are worn over teeth with a tight fit. The toughness of the clear tooth aligners is intentional so that it causes tension and exerts pressure on teeth. The pressure exerted is meant to help shift the teeth.
How Does Invisalign Work?
Invisalign® works by exerting controlled pressure on teeth to institute a movement in the positioning of teeth. Technically, your dentist will develop a treatment plan that should work for the realignment of your teeth. Based on the treatment plan, you will have to wear different sets of clear aligners throughout the period. The clear aligners are adjusted every couple of weeks, for a tighter fit. This ensures that the shifting of your teeth is gradual and consistent.
The number of invisible teeth aligners you will wear throughout will depend on different factors, including the following:
- The complexity of your teeth – even while Invisalign is used for mild cases of teeth misalignment, some patients have complex cases than others.
- Discipline in wearing the invisible aligners – these teeth aligners are removable, which adds to one of their advantages. However, you have to wear them for up to 22 hours every day. As mentioned earlier, the pressure exerted in teeth must remain consistent to encourage the shifting of teeth. Therefore, the more committed you are to wearing the clear teeth aligners, the quicker your results will begin to show.
- Bone health regarding healing – bone regeneration is what makes orthodontics successful. The process of shifting teeth from one position to another requires healthy bone tissue. Some patients have bone tissues that heal regenerate quicker than others. For such, the results will be more vivid within a short period than of other patients.
What Are the Benefits of Invisalign?
While other dental devices can be used to accomplish teeth realignment, one may wonder why Invisalign is a likable option. If you are not sure about the invisible teeth aligners, here are some of the compelling benefits of the aligners:
- They are removable – unlike traditional braces, invisible aligners are removable. This allows you the freedom to eat the kinds of foods you love. You can chew on hard foods if you like because these teeth aligners have to be removed when eating. However, be careful to brush your teeth every time you eat before you put the clear aligners back on your teeth. If you fail to do so, you are likely to stain your teeth aligners especially given that they stain easily. This will, in turn, undermine the anonymity of the invisible aligners.
- They are friendly to your mouth – the plastic-like material used to make them is not harmful to your gums. Besides, you do not have to worry about any metal brackets breaking and hurting your gums and mouth, as could be the case with traditional braces.
- Cosmetic advantage – the before and after results of using the aligners is incredible. Your dental formula is more proportional when teeth are realigned correctly. Other than that, clear aligners offer cosmetic benefits throughout the process. Since they are invisible, they allow you to go through the entire process anonymously. No one has to know about your dental intervention unless they are standing very close to you. This means that you can keep your smile as you anticipate the success of the realignment.
- They boost your confidence – people who wear traditional braces, particularly adults, have a hard time exuding confidence. This is because of the stereotype that braces are me at for children and teenagers. Thankfully, adults can still get their teeth realigned, without having to worry about their confidence being impacted negatively.
Invisible Teeth Aligners Care Tips
To fully enjoy the benefits of Invisalign, be sure to take care of them as guided in the following tips:
- Remove them before you eat anything.
- Keep them hydrated in the solution recommended by your orthodontist.
- Brush them regularly as you clean your teeth. However, avoid using toothpaste because of their abrasion on the clear aligners.